Turkey Ssam Cups
Here's one for when you've overdone it with the mince pies. These Korean turkey lettuce cups couldn't be more suited to the festivities. Sangchu ssam (lettuce wraps) involve everyone round the table in a shared ritual, each one curating their own fresh and vibrant mouthful. Be careful not to get carried away though, it's thought polite to only fill one ssam with enough rice, meat and veg to scoff in just one bite.
Fridge space is always a premium at this time of year, so using up leftovers scores all the bonus points. Try using up your various Christmas ingredients in ways you’ve never thought of before. Our Christmas leftovers series is here to inspire your next trip to the fridge. So when you fancy peeling yourself off the sofa after the millionth re-watch of Love Actually — no, we still haven't forgiven Alan Rickman for cheating on Emma Thompson's character —a few cheeky choclates and a nice snooze, have a go at our scrumptious festive winter warming dishes. This week, we’re in South Korea, with fresh and fiery turkey ssam cups (Turkey lettuce cups).
- Turkey dressing
- 300g leftover shredded turkey
- 1x tsp of grated ginger
- 1x spring onion sliced
- 1x tsp sesame oil
- 1x tbsp soy sauce
- To serve
- 10-12 Little Gem leaves
- 1x carrot grated
- Coriander leaves chopped
- 1x spring onion finely sliced
- 12 cucumber slices
- 5 tbsp Kimchi (optional)
- 1x tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- First make the dressing by combining all the spicy sauce ingredients, mix well and set aside
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the grated ginger and fry for a few seconds until fragrant, then add the spring onions for a few more seconds. Next add the turkey, stir well then take off the heat and drizzle over the sesame oil and soy sauce and mix well.
- On a plate arrange the lettuce leaves then spoon the turkey into each lettuce cup and top with the grated carrot, sliced cucumber, coriander, spring onions and kimchi if using. Sprinkle over the toasted sesame seeds. Spoon over some sauce into each cup or let everyone dip straight into it!